A Trusted Advisor
Mission driven non-profit organizations can need day to day legal or compliance services but do not always have the resources necessary to hire an in-house attorney. Ms. Raattama is available to assist organizations without in-house counsel with their daily legal and compliance needs at rates lower than traditional outside law firms. Ms. Raattama is available to work on new projects, to negotiate contracts and other agreements, to review governance practices, to attend board meetings and to assist in setting up legal and/or compliance processes. Identification of legal considerations in the early stages of a new project usually helps projects proceed more efficiently.
Ms. Raattama’s 19 years of experience means she has handled a large variety of legal matters. For 12 years Ms. Raattama’s practice focused primarily on business transactions, including real estate, contracts for goods, services and equipment and technology licensing. For the last 6 years, as General Counsel, Ms. Raattama oversaw legal, compliance and governance matters on behalf of a large, public research university and its affiliated 501(c)(3) non profit entities. In this role, in addition to focusing on high priority gift agreements, financings and other types of business transactions, Ms. Raattama’s responsibilities included managing especially sensitive types of legal and compliance matters regularly.
Available to help with daily legal and compliance needs
Negotiating, reviewing and drafting contracts
- Software/technology/license agreements
- Equipment purchases
- Professional services agreements
- Development/outsourcing agreements
- Bond document review from the issuer’s perspective
Negotiating, drafting, and reviewing leases
- Real estate
Advising on legal requirements applicable to institutions of higher education and non profit organizations.
- Providing timely guidance on new developments, including preparing easy to understand communications to share within the organization
- Creating action plans for on-boarding new requirements or changes in requirements
- Performing analyses of legislative and regulatory proposals
Providing Governance Support
- Drafting board resolutions, board delegations, board policies
- Creating signature authority processes, forms and policies
- Advising on governance best practices and requirements
- Attending board meetings and drafting minutes